Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sydney's Texas A & M T-shirt Quilt

T-shirt quilts are not my favorite quilt to make but the joy they generate in the grandchildren is worth the effort. I have my own version of making the quilt. I cut the motifs out as close to the design as possible, then add strips of different colors to make them a size that will make rows for sewing together. I am not too fussy about sizing just as long as the rows are parallel. Sometimes I sew two designs together if they are small. Because it is knit fabric I sew all the blocks on the serger to keep the fabric from stretching. Once all the blocks and rows are assembled  I place the top on a piece of fleece that has been pieced to fit. There is no other batting in the middle, just the two layers. I then tie the whole thing together at the junctions of the blocks. The fleece is then trimmed one inch larger than the top and folded over to make a binding. I use the multiple zig zag stitch to sew the binding down. The quilt has a very scrappy look when finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment